NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Any Orion Optics VX16 users?

I'm thinking about VX16 Newtonian for very high resolution planetary imaging (nice 16" of aperture). I'm wondering if there are any users of this model and can share some thoughts about it. The key question - is the OTA stable and doesn't flex ?

Mine is the model that preceded the VX16 but it's ostensibly the same I think. I have a 16" f4 OOUK scope (solid tube) and this is fitted with rings and I made a home made dob base for it. I am visual only so cannot say whether or not it flexes minimally or not; I don't see it at the eyepiece. it's quite a light OTA for the size but if I were imaging with it then I'd probably either have some custom rings made as although the OOUK ones are good for visual in alt az, I'd not like to use them / rely on them for an EQ mount. my optics are 1/8 wave (0.984 strehl) and wonderfully sharp and contrasty.

I can wholeheartedly recommend them for visual and probably imaging with the above caveat re the rings.

• 3 years later...

Archived