Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Which Crayford Focuser for the Edge 1100 HD?

Thanks Robin

I think that I would prefer to go down the route of something already assembled to go out of the box as it where, I'll take a look on FLO regarding the Steeldrive

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Kevin,

I can understand that approach. I am an electronics engineer by trade and have access to a fully equiped workshop, so it's much easier for me to make small one off projects. The Steeltrack and Steeldrive will still probably be less than a Moonlight plus adapater plus drive system and I would be interested to know how you thing the Steeltrack compares with your Moonlight on the C9.25.

Opted for the steeltrack from FLO, awaiting delivery. Think I'm almost there now with the new set up. Only thing I may still think about is a finderscope upgrade.

I started reading the posts and gave up need to get to work....

I just went through this myself, I bought a TS 2" Monorail dual focus focuser for my Edge 8 HD and found that the build was too long with OAG it put me at 175mm from the outer edge of the attachment nut on the back of the OTA for the Edge 8 HD it should be 133mm (Edge 11 HD 146)

But if I was I was using a full format CCD chip (46mm diagonal measurement) But as I am using a CCD with only 11.21mm then I can push put this recommended back focus limit a bit further.

and this is where I got confused Celestron talk about T adapter which has a fixed length not adjustible......... but we are using an adjustable unit and the primary mirror is also adjustable so somewhere there must be a sweet spot?? Still waiting for an answer from Celestron I´ll keep you updated. I have recently bought CCD inspector as I guess this is the best way to find that sweet spot for my CCD size to back focus ratio.

Hi,

Kevin, great. That looks a neat solution and I don't think you will be disappointed with either scope or focuser. Just need a few clear skies. You could mount a second dovetail on the top and piggy back an 80mm scope to use as a finder, it depends on which mount you are using. For DSO imaging everyone reckons 50% of the payload maximum, but for visual or the planets you can go up to the max weight. It's awful here this morning, mist and thunder.

Explorer, I have a Celestron OAG, and the only way that will fit is with a T extension, currently fixed, but I did buy a variable T extension, although there might be too much slop in it to be useful for imaging.

I reckon the only OAG which will fit with a crayford is the TS one. I have put my OAG to one side, mounted a Skywatcher shoe alongside the stock finderscope and use a 50mm Skywatcher finder with a camera as a guidescope. Seems to work well on a C11 HD.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Robin

Sadly the weather has been terrible, no clear night to be able to have a 1st light!!

I've had i all hooked up and fitted the steeltrack etc so ready to go, just waiting for a clear spell.

I was really impressed with the OTA and EP that comes with it, it's huuuuge, can't wait to take a peak through it eventually. I've been thinking what should be my 1st target on 1st light, any suggestions?

Hi Kevin,

I know what you mean, mine hasn't been out for some time now, concentrating on solar observing and not much of that either. I am currently sitting in our conservatory listening to the gentle patter of rain on the roof.

Not sure what your first object should be, I went for Jupiter and then Mars, both are not positioned well now. even Saturn is not so good.

You could try one of the brighter Messier objects or a double star, they always look good in a new scope.

The supplied eyepiece is massive, pity mine has never been used, okay once and it has gone back in the box. I see a lot of people sell them, but I like to keep all the accessories in case I ever want to sell the whole as original.

By the looks of this weather it'll be Jupiter for 1st light :grin:

Just out of curiosity, which solar scope do you use? Is it white light or Ha. I've been researching on this very subject as I'm interested in one day having a go myself.

Hi Kevin,

I started with a white light solar filter on my ST80, using Baader solar film, hopeful of seeing the Venus transit, but found solar observing and sun spots fascinating. I recently bought a Coronado PST, the first views were of a massive prominence, but didn't have a camera with me.

In these summer months of light nights, especially as we are approaching a solar maximum it provides a constant changing vista, equal to anything you can see at night.

Archived