Another SGL Arduino Focuser underway

astrovirus

Set it in the Sketch and the Ascom settings.

This is one thing I need to check over as i cant get the settings working correctly so sometimes the Ascom settings dont save correctly so the next startup writes an old value down to the Arduino.

I really need to write the values to the Ascom registry area but the example code from the Ascom site didnt work for me. I will try again to fix this as its the best method.

so look out for any problems with incorrect settings downloaded.

The sweet spot on the speed setting seems to be slightly different for everyone. I think I'll recheck mine just to make sure. :D

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One other thing,

the speed setting is the delay time so higher is slower. I'd expect higher(slower)speed settings to work better. if you have it to fast the full current isnt applied and you get less torque on the step.

Nice job - very neat :)

Have to say - these Arduinos look very interesting :) I'm investigating - I can see the advantages over my current ideas.

Nice job - very neat :)

Have to say - these Arduinos look very interesting :) I'm investigating - I can see the advantages over my current ideas.

I like them, I wish they were around when I was a kid!

It has the advantage over the PI, in my mind anyway, in that it´s just a simple controller, with the PI being Linux I would be forever trying to tweak the thing or get a driver working. You have all the I/O you need on the Arduino, the software is built in and works (ok you need to program it in C++ or whatever version it is) and the hardware is cheap. I have added an ethernet shield and it also works like a dream and it only took an hour to get a webserver working on it which triggered the relays I am controlling.

I love the idea of the PI but for learning programming I would stick with the Arduino any day of the week. It also teaches current usage and power supply requirements i.e. if you only have 500ma and each relay takes 80mA how many can you drive and how would you power all 8? great bit of kit.

Just tested 2 nights under the stars and works like a treat on the 70ED. Will solder up the connection to the 8" Newton this afternoon/evening and test again tonight. Thanks again to everyone who contributed to this excellent sollution at a fraction of the price of a commercial one. And it's fun building one too.

I like them, I wish they were around when I was a kid!

It has the advantage over the PI, in my mind anyway, in that it´s just a simple controller, with the PI being Linux I would be forever trying to tweak the thing or get a driver working. You have all the I/O you need on the Arduino, the software is built in and works (ok you need to program it in C++ or whatever version it is) and the hardware is cheap. I have added an ethernet shield and it also works like a dream and it only took an hour to get a webserver working on it which triggered the relays I am controlling.

I love the idea of the PI but for learning programming I would stick with the Arduino any day of the week. It also teaches current usage and power supply requirements i.e. if you only have 500ma and each relay takes 80mA how many can you drive and how would you power all 8? great bit of kit.

Very interesting Neil :) I'm thinking I could set one up to serve my weather station, processing the data and uploading it to my web site. But the main use I have for one is controlling my DSLR camera cooling as well a remote focuser. Programming is no problem to me - I have more decades of experience than I care to contemplate of programming all sorts of systems. I also have experience of interfacing. But with these it looks like simply a matter of plugging modules together :)

The software is still quirky, i.e. not working :wacko:, in places.

One which is very annoying is that if the usb connection fails then it keeps trying to communicate and throws up the same comms fail error which blocks you from closing it down. I need to add in error handling and possibly tweak the comms routine.

In a worst case I have had to do a task monitor and close it manually and then restart windows.

it's a rare event but annoying when it happens.

If you ever want to play with the code just install visual basic express 2010 its free.

• 1 month later...

Archived