Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Surprised by Saturn

So, I went out last evening to try and observe M101 with my nearly new Pentax 10X50 binos. The sky was still fairly bright however, and there were some high clouds so I never located my target. I decided to take a look at the first quarter moon which was a fine site even at 10X. As Saturn was nearby I had a quick look and was surprised that I could actually make out the oval shape of the planet. I of course could not resolve the rings but it was not just a yellowish ball of light. I was never able to see this in my 7X50s. It is amazing what that extra 3X will provide! Len

That is true but as you see in my signature I have larger binos as well as telescopes. It was amazing to see that much in 10X50. My 20X80s will reveal the rings and if good seeing a moon or two. What binoculars do you have?

So, I went out last evening to try and observe M101 with my nearly new Pentax 10X50 binos. The sky was still fairly bright however, and there were some high clouds so I never located my target. I decided to take a look at the first quarter moon which was a fine site even at 10X. As Saturn was nearby I had a quick look and was surprised that I could actually make out the oval shape of the planet. I of course could not resolve the rings but it was not just a yellowish ball of light. I was never able to see this in my 7X50s. It is amazing what that extra 3X will provide! Len

I also could not resolve the rings even with 15x50 Canon IS binoculars but I can see the moons of jupiter's and they are circular as said by Girneyfan 67you would need 20x80 or 25x100

clear skies

Archived