is my Rigel finder working correctly?

My Rigel Quickfinder came in the post today, and of course you turn it on like it says in the instructions, whilst in a dark room, to see if it is working.

I works, but the red rings look quite scruffy as though they had been scribbled several times by hand.

Is this what they should look like "indoors", and will they look a bit cleaner when viewing the real sky?

Or have I got a dud?

I have a picture of what I mean, but I'll be blowed if I can work out how to paste it in.

FLO are more than willing to send another, but I just want to be sure there is something up before I put them to any trouble.

cheers

M

Here is a quick snap of mine:

gallery_5915_1650_59496.jpg

It seems reasonably round and clean in the photo, but there was a hint of scribbles like you say. I think it is a trick of the eye focusing in the subdued but not dark room, because it would come and go. I have never noticed it at night.

When I had this effect I just turned the brightness down a bit and it sharpens up. It usually happens when you are using it in a place that isn't totally dark and the temptation is to turn it up too bright without realising. :)

I've just had another look at it.

This is in the under stairs loo - pitch black.

I turned the brightness way down, and it still looks nothing like Riks relatively clean piccy.

I've just now tried it outside (although it's anything but dark at 11 o'clock) and it still looks scribbly.

Scribbly or not, it still looks as though it will do the job.

thanks for your answers

Martin at FLO is looking into it and i am sure he will give me his opinion soon.

M

Here's a photo i managed to take.

post-21427-0-52536800-1340872237_thumb.j

the photo looks a lot better than the real life.

i suppose I'll live with it - at least until it get a proper outing.

thanks for your trouble.

M

Archived