NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Broken scanner reused

The Sailor

I had one of those film strip scanners which got damaged, I pulled it apart and took out the small board and found it was just a glorified webcam. As I had been converting webcams for astro work I decided to take a look at this and see what could be done. Last night I tried it out and it was great, the resolution is fixed at 2592 x 1680 and RGB24 and FR at 3.75. I used the cam on the SW90x50 finder and was astounded at the amount of sky I was able to see, locked on Vega I was able to see quite a bit all round. I thought I would put this piece here to see if anyone else has done anything like that and what results they got, as the cost of the scanner was about the same price as a good webcam I think I got a bargain :).

Jim

It seems my post didn't fully appear....strange. Anyway, I said something along the lines of excellent project, and a novel use of a defunct scanner!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived