Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Milky Way around Altair

I recently got back from a short break in Exmoor. Luckily, there was one clear night and I had a go at using the camera directly on an HEQ5. I didn't point it at anything in particular, just the star I focused on - Altair. The skies when I got up were simply amazing and nothing like where I live in between Croydon and Gatwick! A good look all around and I simply could not see any light pollution. Perfect :)

The image is 27 x 90 second photos and 5 darks. ISO 640. Nikon D5000/Tamron 90mm prime lens. Stacked in DSS.

7420374018_005ff7fa61.jpg

Milky Way around Altair by MrLeebert, on Flickr

I also made a composite of the first and last sub just to see how much lighter it got in 45 minutes. More than I was expecting but it was one of the shortest nights of the year.

7424098968_46d30cfbc8.jpg

Original image composite by MrLeebert, on Flickr

Cheers,

Lee

Many thanks for the comments. I do hope to get back there later in the year if I can - the sky was simply amazing!

I didn't know anything about dark nebulae - thank you for letting me know what was in the image :)

Archived