Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Want To Buy a CCD Imager

Want a Be

Looking to buy a ccd imager. Have looked at the Meade deep sky imager w/autostar suite ($99) ,Celestrons nextimage ($99),Orions Starshoot solar system color imager 2 ($179) ,Orions New starshoot deep space imager 2 ($699), SAC 7 ccd camera ($398) and some of the ones that are in the thousands of $$$. I have a Celestron CPC 8" Scope and want to know if any one has any recomondations for me. So far I am kind of leaning towards the Orions Starshoot Deep Sky Imager for $699,because I would like to do some DSI along with planetery also. Has anyone have one or any of the ones I listed that can give my some advise....Roger

Hi Roger,

General opinion is that being US side you have a far better deal with respect to price - so first off, just wanted to express my envy.

I don't know much about the cams you have posted. I wanted to give a word of caution though. As regards the SAC - there have been a few people this side who have had an awful time with the company. I was under the impression that the company was no longer in business. If you go down that route be quite aware.

Anthony

I have the Meade LPI, which is what I think you mean when you mention a $99 DSI, and like the Celestron Neximage it's just a slightly modified webcam and no good for deep-sky stuff. They're really only suitable for very bright, large targets like the moon and planets, and absolutely useless on stars and deep sky objects. For deep sky stuff you really need something like the Meade DSI or better, and since you own the same scope as me you'll also need to buy a focal reducer to bring down exposure times and increase field of view. For myself I'm going for the very capable Atik16ic as my first proper cooled CCD imager, a bargain considering its capabilities. With that I'll can learn the basics and move on from there.

Archived