Collimation worries

After giving my Skywatcher Explorer 200P a wee knock last week I figured it might be a good time to learn how to collimate the thing so in a rash move I bought a laser collimator then read about on the potential issues around them. Thankfully, the laser seems to be collimated itself ok which I tested by sitting it in a v-shape wedge and gently rotating and the dot stayed put so I took my chances and stuck it in the scope.

WIth the scope setup in my shed first thing I noticed was the dot reflecting back onto the roof so I adjusted the primary and got the dot right in the collimator target. My question is though, when I look down the tube the dot itself is about 3cm to the left of the centre spot and about 1cm higher. Am I right in thinking it should hit the centre spot of the primary and if so, is it the adjustment of the secondary that will fix that?

Sorry for the real newbie question, I've read a stack of guides on this but they all seem to focus on the cheshire and lid methods and can't find any definitive advice on using a laser one.

You need to adjust the secondary first, then when you have the laser dot in the centre of the primary adjust the primary to put the dot om the collimator target - simples :grin:

Do a search for "Astrobabys coolimation guide" on here - its excellent

Archived