Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Observing site near Guildford

canuck

• 1 year later...

Hi there,

I used to observe in the Surrey hills near the A25 but now the countryside at night is ruled by teenagers in their cars, especially rural car parks. One time I was out with our club in a hill and a load of Kevs turned up in their pimped-up-Novas and called the police on us becuase there were "a bunch wierdos out here with telescopes; very suspicious". You definately don't want to be setting up your kit there.

On another thread...

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-deep-sky/82894-ngc7000-central-guildford.html

... we were having this discussion about observing from Guildford.

I meet up with a friend and now observe from urban Guildford. The LP is bad but at least we have a safe site.

Further down the A3 is Butsers Ancient Farm, used by Hants astro, which is safe, secure and dark, but there we're talking a good 90 min drive from, say, Surbiton.

Regards

Chris

See some imaging sessions from Guildford at :

blip.tv (beta)

WO Megrez 90, Equinox 80, EQ6+EQMOD, QHY8

Would have thought that somewhere around Hindhead and The Devils Punch Bowl should be OK.

I know there is a small road on the right (heading south) just before the double bend into Hindhead that is access to the youth hostel. As you go in there is an area for parking cars close to the entrance, about 4-6 spaces.

Only problem for the area is the number of trees. Further down it is access to a couple of private houses so stay at the top simply to avoid having to turn round. Also you would then be down in the Punchbowl and viewing would be more lmited.

It is a bit of a pain to get into so may be easier to look for the turning, go past it to the car park at the beginnging of Hindhead swing rond and get in when on the right side of the road.

There must be others just south of Hindhead also, and would have thought that the A3 south of Guildford would have had suitable places off to one side or the other.

Guildford Astro have a site just outside Guildford towards Portsmouth. The site is shielded from the LP at Guildford by the Hogs Back.

Know what your saying about kids with cars. A few of us were trying to get a session going maybe at Newlands Corner - not far from the A3.

Hopes thats of some small help.

Archived