NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Transit Of Venus: 6Th June 2012:

Up early this morning to get set up, only to be confronted by clouds! However, they appeared to be clearing in my favour, so I continued.

Thankfully they cleared just in time for me to witness the start of the transit. I observed through my 1100D with 70-300 (at 200mm) and 2x teleconverter, sacrificing sharpness for image size.

Hopefully I caught the wee ink drop bit with the camera, but I certainly saw it.

I've also been projecting through my 10x42s for anyone who is interested, of which there are remarkably few....

Once Venus had fully entered the disc of the Sun, I went in for a coffee and to get ready for the days work, returning periodically to take more shots.

Figners crossed for decent results and a continuous series of images. I'll sit out and watch the finale after I've had lunch...

Good luck to all who are eagerly awaiting the morning back in the UK.

Missed 1st and 2nd contact in Osaka, jp due to heavy cloud cover, but did get to view Venus entering the sun disc for a few seconds when a gap in the cloud appeared. There are occasional gaps in the cloud for the rest of the transit. I'd say cloud cover was moderate. It makes imaging quite difficult because I need to keep on adjusting the exposure settings to image through thinner clouds. Visual was better and I can see Venus and the major sun spots through some of the slightly thicker clouds. I was quite lucky 3rd and 4th contact both occurred when there were gaps.

I was thinking Japan would be an ideal place to be for this one, the sun being so much higher for the start.

Each time I returned to the camera it was clear and I was able to share with quite a few of the Chinese crew.

I'm really pleased and quite blessed to have seen both transits, 2004 and 2012.

HI Murphy,

Im based in SE Scotland,washout here too,quite literally,the rain just got heavier as sunrise approached.I must say Im very dissapointed about missing this,after all these years of missing events due to cloud youd think Id be used to it by now,but this is the biggest blow since 1999.Yesterday I was contemplating a overnight drive up to Inverness area to increase my chances but I dont think that would of helped much. Ill just have to make do with my brief glimpse the 2004 transit through a gap in the thick cloud and my single dodgy B&W film photo.Not many saw i tat all in Scotland so Im fortunate there ,although conditions were perfect in most of England and Wales.This time Ill be surprised if it was seen anywhere in the British Isles.

Archived