Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

BBC News - M31 collides with MW!

661-pete

Theoretically, you can. The probability of it happening will be something like 10^814201856018365613856081:1, but it is statistically possible.

I wouldn't suggest trying it!

I love maths. This means my chances of winning the Eurogazillions tonight is billions times better than the chances of me walking through a wall.

You're all invited to my First Light party at my custom obsy in my mansion in the country :hello2:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I love maths. This means my chances of winning the Eurogazillions tonight is billions times better than the chances of me walking through a wall.

You're all invited to my First Light party at my custom obsy in my mansion in the country :hello2:

Will it have a door? I only ask seeing we all clearly possess the ability to do without one...

I think the reason this is "news" is that Hubble has just measured M31's proper motion, enabling it to be said with certainty for the first time that it will collide with the Milky Way rather than pass to one side.

NASA's website has eight "time-lapse" images, two of which are the ones found in the BBC article. Rather pretty I thought!

Tom

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

The earth will be uninhabitable in 1 billion years anyway as the sun will be much hotter and the oceans will boil off, later it will turn into a red giant so Earth will be swallowed. We might get hit by something flying around before then anyway.

Just to throw a bone in again...

Who says we'll be confined to Eart by then? If we haven't populated at least the local 1000 or so light years by then, we'll have seriously been kicking back. Either that or creationism will have taken over and science will be dead, consigning us to a horrible, sun-borne death.

Blimey, taken a gloomy turn! :hello2:

Archived