NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The Moon

StarSupernova

Hello StarSupernova;

The pic isn't bad at all.

You know, I've obtained some blurry images with an expensive Nikon DSLR while obtained sharp ones with a very cheap X-BOX camera. It's all a matter of practice, settings, seeing conditions and optical quality and conditions like collimation.

Said that, what equipment and settings have you been using to take these pics?

Clear Skies.

To answer both questions, I just use my basic Alba A120 camera. I don't have a specific setting. I could use manual one night and get some decent photos and then try again and it turns out blurry or if the moon is too bright it's all glare.

For that photo above I sharpened it a little and it made a noticeable improvement. Not vastly different but good enough.

I line the camera up to the eyepiece to take photos and I think that explains some of the bad shots as I can't keep the camera as still as is needed.

I line the camera up to the eyepiece to take photos and I think that explains some of the bad shots as I can't keep the camera as still as is needed.

From what I understand, this kind of Astrophotography (Eyepiece projection) is a bit of an art form! I was pretty lame at last time I tried. On ly half decent result I ever got was through my iPhone!

Your processing seems to have put a "bright" circle around the moon - it looks as though it's sat on a pale disc, if you see what I mean? I tried tweaking your image but while I got a "better" moon the processing made that disc a lot more obvious.

If you'd like to post your original unprocessed image, maybe one or two folks could have a go at it. There are some seriously good post production processing people here! Beat the socks off anything I've managed so far :hello2:

It looks like you've got a good basic image there - and processing is an art form!

To answer both questions, I just use my basic Alba A120 camera. I don't have a specific setting. I could use manual one night and get some decent photos and then try again and it turns out blurry or if the moon is too bright it's all glare.

For that photo above I sharpened it a little and it made a noticeable improvement. Not vastly different but good enough.

I see. Automatic settings might actually use a slow shutter speed that will let in light for longer, making the image blurrier. When you'll try some manual settings, if your camera allows you, try to use a fast shutter speed (minimum 1/160) and ISO between 200 and 800 (just try multiple shots). Your camera might well be able to shoot videos, single frames taken out of videos (or stacked frames) might even look sharper.

As I am relatively a beginner myself (or a returning beginner :hello2: ) , I often find helpful shooting in Black and White, as it helps obtaining a bit sharper or better defined images.

Archived