NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

7x50 or 8x40 binoculars

Hi all. I'm looking at getting a pair of binoculars to complement my telescope which I have just bought and am wondering what people prefer. I've tried 10 x 50's and found the field of view a bit too narrow for me and so looking at something with a lower magnification to give me a wider FOV. I've seen a pair of 8x40's by olympus which I'm interested in, but I've noticed that some people use 7x50's. I would prefer the 8x40's as they are lighter than the 7x50's, but could be swayed if the 7x50's are worth the extra weight. What do people think? Thanks.

My take is that I prefer the extra light gather in 50mm. But then again, I get on well with a 10x50, that you don't like!

But.. Is it really x10 giving a narrow view, or the eyepiece end of the instrument that has a narrow FOV, giving the impression of looking down a tunnel?

I have cheap and expensive binos. My Opticron 10x50 are by far the best for astro use with good FOV and eye relief.

No easy answers. But in my experience you get what you pay for. Have you seen the 7x50 Opticron Marine in the FLO clearance thread? If they are left.

Archived