NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Polar alignment of EQ5

Another stupid sounding newbie question... :)

I have an EQ5 mount which I'm trying to polar align. The instructions that came with it are sparse to say the least (translated from Chinese I think :?)

They say to point the tripod roughly north, set the DEC to 90 degrees, the altitude to 51 (my latitude), then adjust the altitude and azimuth until Polaris is centred in the finder scope. I have no problems spotting Polaris - north is the one direction that I have almost unrestricted views (something to be thankful for I guess!) I have 2 problems with this:

1) The DEC circle (silver circle at the front with degrees marked on it) turns - definitely the DEC, not the R.A. :( So how do I know when the scope is actually set to 90 degrees DEC? By turning the circle, I can make any angle be 90 :D

2) While doing this, what should the R.A be set to? Or does it not matter since I'm pointing north?

If someone could give me simple step-by-step instructions covering issues like these, I'd be very grateful!

Thanks

Trev

Hi Trev

I have an EQ5 and I have found that using a polar scope made it alot easier to get good alignment.

The way I used to do it before I had a polar scope was as follows.

1-Put the scope so you can see Poalris through the polar axis.

1- make sure the scope is level.

2- Double check you lattitude as the markings on the EQ5 are not the best for acurracy.

This will put the scope close enough to accurate polar alignment that it will hold objects in the filed of views for several minutes (10+).

If you want to do imaging I would recommend drift alignment.

I hope this helps

Cheers

Ian

Hello Trevor (Trevboyd),

Welcome to SGL!

I would agree with Ian's advice when doing a "rough" Polar alignment. Ensure your tripod is absolutely level, and double check your Latitude.

I used to own a Skywatcher 130M reflector, on an EQ2 mount. This did not have a polar scope, so I just aligned the scope as best I could, and even with a very rough alignment I found I could take good photos of the moon, stars and planets.

If your tripod has a facility to fit a Polar Scope, and you want to go into astrophotography, try and get hold of a Polarscope - if possible one with and illuminated reticule. (though you can use a small L.E.D torch preferably with a red glass to front - taped near the front opening of Polar scope holder).

Best wishes,

Phil Edwards

(Philsail1)

Archived