Venus Conjunction

Hi guys,

Don't want to miss out on the transit of venus coming soon. I have a Meade LX90 8" and finding a solar filter is proving a bit confusing. What would be the best (and reasonably cost effective) option for me? Is the Baader Solar Film a good way to go??

Thanks!

Marcus

Best advice,at this stage and if you're not a seasoned (daft and burnt)solar observer, I'd stay in bed and watch it later on the tv.

We found everything solar well sold out or in short supply. We had to scout Middle England not only for a good viewpoint with parking, but more importantly a cafe open at 6am.

Nick.

Hi. I’ve used the Baader solar film on quite a few occasions and it gives really good results. However, I’m going to join in with the cynicism… Wednesday is looking like a pretty thick blanket of cloud so the probability of catching it is pretty low. However, this is a once in a lifetime (if you missed the last one) chance, so perhaps it’s worth giving it a go.

I've prepared a Baader solar filter for my camera 300mm zoom lens, however it has become a little crumpled during transit (sic) to the rig. So at present it is being stretched and pressed under a couple of large equipment manuals, before being re-mounted to my lens hood.

If all else fails, and the weather doesn't do the usual, I can resort to the time honoured bino-projection method, which served me well back in 2004:

venus09.jpg

transitionofvenus2004.jpg

Archived