NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Sony Effio CCD

DIYASTRO

Just asking....

Has anyone tried the Sony Effio CCD cameras?

I am looking at the specs for one that has 1/3" Sony Exveiw HAD CCDII, 700 TV Lines and claims to be 0.001 lux

The model number is CDM70.

Looks a decent video system and used with a 'video grabber' may be usefull.

Anyone?

Boyd

It seems that the code for the model I am looking at is not available with google!

For anyone interested have a look here

www.cricklewoodelectronics.com

Look under colour CCTV cameras and scroll down that page a little. Its listed as code CDM70, Looks quite good for attempt at all sky camera. Would like to know what other people think about it... the on screen display (OSD) looks quite comprehensive.

Boyd

Post being looked at but no replies!

Thought I would post some pics in hope of stimulating interest in what i think is a good CCD camera.

The circuit board is about 38mm square and the lens screw thread looks to be our std webcam / philips type so no probs getting it modded for astro use.

I will try and get some pics from it this weekend if time and cloud allow.

The OSD is very good with lots of options to control shutter speed mirror image, brightness, contrast, sharpness, hue, gain, luminance and contrast. The picture quality from what I see on my small monitor (10") is excellent, and better image in dull light than the spc900 or Microsoft lifecam cinema, and it looks like the claim of 0.001 lux could be correct!

Do please post and let me have your thoughts and veiws.

Boyd

post-14731-133877782174_thumb.jpg

post-14731-13387778218_thumb.jpg

post-14731-133877782187_thumb.jpg

It's a TV/Video camera from what I see. You will need a frame grabber to connect it to a laptop and catch some frames (low grade frame grabber will lower the image quality, high end frame grabber will make this over-expensive).

As for the camera - such cameras, especially with integration or sense up are good for live viewing. Their image quality is rather not so good and stacking may not help (like if you catch some artifacts from the frame grabber).

Riklaunim,

Thanks for reply, yes as I said in my first post needs a 'video grabber' and intention was as 'live veiw' all sky camera basis, or perhaps with a larger fast lens a meteor observation cam.

It was its sensitivity that attracted me in first instance but now that I have tried it on a screen I must admit I am impressed with the OSD and functionality of it. I will put it through a decent video frame grabber when I get the chance and see what the image is like, I agree, the quality will be less with low grade grabber though.

Thanks for reply, very welcolm.

Boyd

Looks an interesting low-light video cam - can you post some night images? What's the sensor size and does it do sensup? Thinking of live video of deepsky objects via my big scope:headbang:

nytecam

Thanks for your post.

The sensor is 1/3" SONY EXveiw HAD CCD II, I have connected it via a video grabber and works with sharpcap and WXastro capture etc. I will try and get some night images this weekend if I can get some time. Not sure what you mean by sensup?

Although I have only tried the camera indoors in low light I have some hopes for it as a live veiw all sky or perhaps as you suggest live video via large optics. The lens that comes with the camera is 3.6mm at F2

Boyd

Not sure what you mean by sensup?

....The lens that comes with the camera is 3.6mm at F2

Boyd

Thanks let us know how you get on:)

Sens-up is a devise on some video cams that stacks a series of video frames [say x256 or x512 etc] to greatly boost sensitivity on faint [galaxy] objects etc - I'd only be interested if this feature is included:rolleyes:

nytecam,

Yet another cloudy night! Rain for most of last night so have not had much of a chance to try the camera outside.

The 'sens-up' that you mention does not seem to be a feature on this model, to be honest I have never come across this useful tool within the software of CCTV cameras, I must look into that!

As soon as I am able to get some images I will let you know. I have some hopes for it!

Boyd

• 4 months later...

Archived