Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

12 Volt power from a Computer CPU?

Jaffa007

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
have had plenty of 12volt from my car through my teeth

I'm sorry but that DID make me laugh! I couldn't follow the earlier part because I was getting confused with CPU and PSU. The solar charger thing sounds good. Can it be used to charge a power pack like those from Halfords or Maplin?

Im not sure, you'll have to check if those powerpack thingy's have the connections fo recharging. I have the car battery / solar trickle charger set-up to power some ventilation fans complete with thermostat on my shed in the summer (to stop scopes sweating). It works a treat. The trickle charger works well even in cloud cover daylight. When I eventually upgrade from my EQ3 mount I hope to hook it up to a 12v Mount. Maplins have all the relevent croc clips/cigarette lighter ports and other connections to hook up car battery to Synta based mounts. :wink:

It's a nice green alternative to sucking away at your mains electricity all the time. If were in to astronomy it's nice to embrace the power of our own star :D

Vega

To redeam myself from this original question. ;)

I have a solar charger panel [gift from Maplins] that charges my power pack at the mo. I did have a problem with the cigar lighter on it not passing current to it so used the croc clips and they work fine. :wink:

James

Archived