Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Williams Optics Flattener 4

I have an A&M 130mm APO which has a 2in Feathertouch focuser with about 2in of travel. For imaging it needs a 2in extension to achieve focus and with my QHY8 Pro with 23mm backfocus it needs a short T spacer as well.

Having heard that a Williams Optics Field Flattener 4 would suit the scope I tried one tonight, using a 32mm T spacer to set the QHY8 Pro 55mm from the Flattener 4 i.e. the spacing of a DSLR for which it is intended. With a 2in extension in front of the Flattener it was a long way out of focus with the scope focuser right in. Without the 2in extension it was closer but still out of focus by a bit with the focuser right in. As expected adjusting the lens to chip adjustment on the flatenner had no effect on the focus.

Any ideas please?

looks like the flattener is also a 0.8x reducer so brings the focus point in. I tried this with a 0.63x reducer on a C80-ED and had to make a special adapter to mount the SCT reducer directly to the Canon adapter. Have you got a photo of your setup?

Archived