Just Seen My 1st Galaxy (sort of)

I've been unable to see any Galaxies visuallly so decided to put the camera (Canon EOS40D) on my scope and see what it showed up @ high iso long exposure. Here is the result when pointed at M66/65. Dead chuffed. I think you can even make out the faint spirals in the left galaxy. Even when I knew they were there I stillcouldn't see them with my own eyes.

7275856134_19bcff4a67_z.jpg

Faint Fuzzies : M66 & M65 by Mark1970Vintage, on Flickr

I have just been looking at sunrise/sunset data, courtesy of the US military. We (I'm in Birmingham) don't get astronomical darkness now until August, so anyone looking for galaxies will have to be patient or lucky.

Makes the photo even more impressive, nice one!

M3 and M5 globular clusters were looking mighty fine tonight. I'm getting much more adept at spotting faint fuzzies down to about mag 6.5.... After that the lp and lack of astronomical darkness is the issue. Enjoyed showing friends the moon and Saturn tonight too.

Archived