Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SX Lodestar Autoguider + ST80 anyone using ?

jnc71106

hi, I had a solidly mounted (no guide rings) QHY5 + ST80, a few months back, and while I always had a guide star, I never had so any to choose between that I felt confident that I would not run into issues at some point.

So when I saw a C102 I bought that figuring that if I used it with a focal reducer I'd have similar focal length to the ST80 but faster optics able to pick up more stars, But within less than a week of buying the C102, someone on ABS advertised their Lodestar & wanted a QHY5, so we worked out a deal & I switched immediatly to a C102+Lodestar - which is very good. I am about to try the ST80+Lodestar, hopefully next time out - I think this might be the guiding system I settle on.

If no one else responds in the meant time, I'll try & give you an update once I've tried this combo, but I think it may be 2 or 3 weeks before I try it.

I use an ED80 with the Loadstar and would imagine the two scopes ST/ED are similar enough for guiding purposes - which equals Great, and I use an 80mm long 2" extension tube to reach focus. I put the Lodestar on one of these:

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p288_TS-Adapter-von-T2-auf-C-Mount.html

Leaving the issue of possible diff flex aside for this type of setup - I don't immediately see what would perform better. The Lodestar is very sensitive, and also has its own ST4 port so you can get rid of one cable to the computer.

I'm another user. I use two de-lensed Barlows stuck together to get the focus. No guide rings, star every time. My only gripe is the too-flimsy cable fixation out of the camera and I can't be alone because Telescope Service do a nylon device to beef up this bit of the Lodestar. It is rather sensitive since they went for such tiny plugs.

But a good sysem and, as Jesper says, one fewer cable!

Olly

Archived