NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Lunar imaging advice

chiralchemist

Hi folks. Thought I'd try to take advantage of the clear skies last night and the appearance of the moon. So Iset up my second-hand Astromaster 130EQ for the first time; great clear views of the moon. I then thought I'd try hooking up my Canon 1100D via a t-adapter in place of the eyepiece just to see how this would work, but couldn't get it focused as there was not enough inward travel. I vaguely remember reading something about this somewhere- can anyone offer any advice?

I'd have rather used a webcam but the adapter I bought doesn't fit the web-cam (:(), so its a DIY job or get a webcam that fits the adapter.

Will I get the same focussing problems I had with the DSLR with the webcam?

I don't know if that scope has it, but does the end of the drawtube unscrew to reveal a T thread ? If so, that ought to give you just enough inward travel. the other option would be to use a 2x Barlow, as that moves the focus point, and should allow you to focus. The image scale on the moon with an SLR is better at 1300mm, rather than 650mm anyway :(. The same is probably true for the webcam, for focus position. (I should probably add, I've no personal experience of newts).

Archived