Fitting heavier legs to a mount...opinions?

Monki

Ahoy hoy...

I came across these on astroboot http://www.scopesnskies.com/images/astroboot/Image-46_2010-10-24.JPG

Described as-

" Set of three tripod legs (Vixen light green colour painted parts). Closed the legs are 700mm long - extended they are 1120mm long. Suitable for beefier EQ5 or Polaris type mount. The tripod head is not included but is available elsewhere on AstroBoot. Supplied with head fastening bolts nand leg lock screws. These legs are excellent heavy duty quality but we have lots hence the silly price."

I just wondered if legs such as these would be better then my lightweight LCM mount tripod legs?

http://www.f1telescopes.co.uk/images/Image/254478image27.jpg

The plan would be to keep the mount and mount base, but (if i can) fit these legs to the base to try make a sturdier tripod and mount :headbang:

For £15 it seemed like a possible idea?

I guess i just would like to know if anyone recognises these legs and if my idea would provide a sturdier tripod mount less prone to wobble :)

I am not sure whether the legs are compatible. Like the description said, they are designed for Polaris type mount. The LCM mount-tripod attachment is very different to a polaris GP60 tripod attachment. I don't know what type of tripod legs to head attachment the LCM use, but I suspect it would be very different to the type used in the GP/EQ4 tripod.

I know what you mean, but what caught my attention is that they are purely the tripod legs only, ready to be attached via the hinge at the top. With them just being the legs without the tripod head/base i was thinking it might just be a straight swap, just unscrew the hinges/legs on my current then screw the new hinges/legs on.

There could be a few dimension/spacing issues to work around....but its just something I thought could benefit my mount's stability for minimal cost :)

Not sent from a Galaxy S2 on Slim ICS.

Bought these quite a while ago and was sent the head at the same time. Not as stable as 2 " stainless legs but provided a better mount for my SynScan and now JonF has a solar scope on top.

Take a chance, it is not going to break the bank.

post script:-One of the legs had a dent in it but a little persuasion with a Birmingham Screwdriver cured that,

Thanks guys, appreciate your input! Its always cool when an idea has already been confirmed by others :) and cheers for the photo RikM, that shows exactly what I meant.

I'll go and order them...just gotta hope its a straight swap with no spacers and what not needed heh

Edit: Damn...just thought..Wrinkly how did you get on with the leg spreader? I'm guessing the legs don't come with one... I wonder if they have any astro boot

Argh...they've gone! Bloomin' typical. There's a full tripod on there for £20 might just get that and take the head off :headbang:

EDIT: Took the plunge...i look forward to my project! My current legs could make a nice bino tripod should i get any :)

Monki,

Shhhhhh! Don't believe SnS realised it but they kept me waiting so long that I feel no guilt.

Alan at Skies the Limit also has a number of legs you can buy.

Give him a ring with the leg dimensions.

Haha. Ah never mind I've ordered them now anyway...as long as I get them at some point in the near furlture I'm happy to wait. I figured for 1.50 postage my purchase wouldn't exactly be a high priority for them to send out =/

Sorted! They arrived today and all i needed was a couple of washers for each leg.

A simple grab 'n' shake test showed a significant increase in stability....very impressed! A field test will show real results, esp when focusing, but for now I'm very happy :)

I'm sorry I have no pics....I disassembled it all before I realised hehe.

Archived