Advice on equipment

I was wondering if I could get some advice on equipment. I have taken a sensible path of attempting (!) to learn the constellations via naked eye and 15x70 binoculars initially, and will be getting a tripod to stabilise the binoculars.

I have been asked for ideas for my upcoming (big) birthday with a budget of £50-100 - obviously not looking for a scope or camera in that price but may put it towards a slightly bigger budget or is there something within that range that will really make a difference to my studies of the sky?

Lou

15x70 are really a BIG set of bins. Holding them "handheld" is not a good idea. I would think that for the budget for your birthday that the bins you have should be mounted on a Horizon 8115 tripod. Its within budget and is a VERY stable mount for bins of this size. I use the same tripod for my 20x90 bins.

Lou, I do not know how far along the learning path you are, but small items like the Sky and Telescope Pocket Sky Atlas come in very handy together with a small red torch, you can add these to your Birthday list as there is only a small financial outlay involved, Happy Birthday Lou when it arrives :clouds2:

John.

Buy yourself a membership in the closest local astro club. You will definately get you $$$ worth, and the folks there will be happy to let you have a go on their kit so you can see what you like before you buy!

Dan

Archived