DSLR onto my Explorer 150PL?

Sorry for the complete newbie question, am I right in thinking all I need to get is a t-ring for my Nikon D80? The Focusser has a built-in t-ring adapter hasn't it?

I'd like to hook my D80 up to the scope just to take pics of the moon and maybe Saturn if I ramp up the ISO settings to get a fast shutter speed (mount hasn't got any tracking motors on yet, that's something for a few months time once I've gotten used to the scope better).

I'm almost ready to click on add to basket for the Nikon t-ring on the FLO site, that's all I need right?

Thanks for any help you guys can give :clouds2:

Hi Dazzyd,

I also have a 150PL scope, and it does come with the t-ring adapter.

I just had to buy the t-ring for my canon 350d, have tried it and it fits together a treat. just need to weather to use the little blighter!!!

It is possible to use a camera to take a single exposure on solar system objects (moon and planets) but remember you are attempting to image through many miles of atmosphere that is moving all over the place. A far better bet would be to use a cheap webcam (lighter for scope avoiding balancing issues) which will allow you to acces a hell of lot more exposures in the quickest time. This in turn will permit you to select the best 'frames' and to stack them on top of each other in Registax to construct a final composite image that will contain plenty of detail. Forget imaging deep sky objects (galaxies and nebulae) as being fainter objects, they will require longer exposures which in turn will require a motorised mount that is also capable of very accurate tracking. Anyone entering into the fun (frustrating?) world of imaging, which is also known to many as the 'dark art', might want to think about getting hold of a copy of Steve Richards' "Making Every Photon Count" (FLO £19.95) which will tell you all you need and why you need it to generate good consistent images. Modestly priced, it might well save you money in avoiding buying the wrong kit and will certainly help in calculating a realistic budget for any future upgrades. Hope that helps.

James

you should just need the T-ring to Nikon adapter as you say.

However, I was led to believe there was focusing issues with these scopes and a DSLR, in that you couldn't wind the focuser in far enough to achieve focus, hence the release of the 150pds, with a shorter tube. It would be interesting to see how you get on.

A webcam would be better for planets, but the DSLR will give you something too (might have to take a few shots and zoom in to 100%). Make sure you have mirror lock up enabled with a time delay before the shutter opens, otherwise the wobble might blur the image. Have you got liveview for focusing?

I'd love to get a webcam setup but my old old laptop wouldn't be up to the processing or maybe even the taking LOL. I'll probably invest in a new one towards the end of the year (the prices are dropping nicely and £400 should get something decent enough) but for now I'm happy to use my D80 to image mostly the moon, that has enough wide shot and close up beauty to keep me going for a while.

Yeah with the DSOs I've got zero chance of getting anything until I start getting tracking motors etc, I'll grab a copy of Every Photon Counts soon to give me some direction with the imaging, thanks for the recommendation.

Thanks guys :clouds2:

Tapped with my own fair fingers on my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I had issues getting my D90 to focus on my Explorer 200P and have to use the 2x barlow to get focus on any sort. Might just be doing it wrong (very new to this) but if you do have focus issues, try with the barlow. Without it the focus point is too close for the camera. The scope is a pain to balance with a DSLR attached too hence why I'm going down the webcam route as soon as possible.

Got the t-ring coming from FLO maybe tomorrow if the Royal Mail do a good job, I'll let you know how I get on. If it comes and it's as clear as the forecast predicts I should be able to get some pics tomorrow night :clouds2:

For DSO's......

I have a 150pl and successfully use my Canon 400d on it. As mentioned earlier by some others already, I attach the T-Ring to the camera, unscrew the eyepiece holder from the scope which will reveal a T-thread and simply screw the camera+t-ring on. With my Canon I have around 7mm of inward focus left, very close.

Hopefully, fingers crossed for you, you'll be able to achieve focus with your Nikon, and then adding a Barlow or not will be down to whatever you're targeting.

Archived