Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Eyepiece cleaning...HELP!

I have just bought my first proper telescope. It has been stored in a damp garage for some years. Despite my cleaning attempts (methanol + cotton bud + compressed air + exhaled moist air) there persists some 'spidery fungal remnants' on the eyepieces. These remnants are confined to the edge of individual lenses and are more or less radial. It would outwardly appear to be more of a problem for the shorter focal length eyepieces since a larger proportion of the lenses seem affected.

Any ideas of what i might try to remove the 'filament like markings'?

FWIW, to my uncritical eye the scope seems to work pretty well despite things. 77mm refractor 1000mm focal length and Saturn and Venus were a big hit with the family the other night.

If you want there is this that's always a popular choice http://www.firstlightoptics.com/misc/baader-optical-wonder-fluid.htm but if you can't find fault in the views I would not let it concern you. If you have already tried removing the marks with no success you may end up doing more damage than good in persisting to remove something that dose not appear to cause any adverse effects to the views.

I think the fungal stuff eats away at the coatings. When it's been attacked it may not be removable. You say the eyepiece works, though. At the end of the day, that's what matters.

I believe sunlight can help prevent further growth and slightly reduce what's already there. It's a common problem with camera lenses and from all the research I've done, a few hours of direct sunlight for a few days does wonders.

Failing this, there's always the option of having them professionally cleaned, as I was once forced to do with my $3,000 Nikon 80 - 200 f2.8 camera lens. I was silly enough to believe the leather case which came with the lens was the best way to store the lens.

As mentioned by other though, if it's not inhibiting the view, ignore it

Archived