Dark sky and where??

Being new to all this and living in Birmingham,can i ask what makes a dark sky suitable for viewing.

I know it's all down to light pollution but when i read "you need to get to dark skies to get the best views of the night sky"

How far away do you need to be from city/town lights to see the Milkyway for instance.

I have read that local parks,big dark open areas,will be fine but our park is surrounded by street lights,and we can see the glow of lights from the city center in the distance still.

If we drive a few miles out we are in open country side,would this be a better option.

Does anyone know of any Dark sky locations near Birmingham or not to far away??

You will have to go a long way to find a really dark site, but just getting away from the street lights does make a big difference. Even if you can't get away from the orange glow it will give you a chance to get your eyes adapted to the dark and you will see more.

Sent you a PM with a few suggestions.

Thanks Andy,replied to PM.

So,so long as i am in a dark location such as a park or field out in the country side for instance i don't need to be miles away from the city or local towns,but it would help if i was.?

Archived