Skymax 127 Vs Nexstar 127 Vs Nexstar 4SE

As per title which one is best?Im liking the idea of webcam photography more and more (I also have a cannon 350D to use later on as well). They all look very good scopes for good money and I have read a lot of people regard the 4SE the best even though it has the samllest aperture. I would guess they are all of very similar quality. I do keep changing my mind so apologies for the excessive posting. I do have a 130mm reflector and im loving the views from it but do like the idea of the goto mounts for tracking. I would love a big 8"-10" dob purely for the views but I dont know how easy webcam photography would be?Could you get as good quality images with a big dob as a small Mak?

Skymax 127 & Nexstar 127 are identical OTAs with mounts that have engle gable differences. Between these I would go for the Skymax as it tends to retail cheaper and put the difference towards eyepieces.

The 4SE has superior quality optics, but as you say, has a smaller aperture with it so might actually show you less (maybe someone with experience of both can comment?). The real bonus of the 4SE is the mount. The wedge will allow you to take longer exposure times for AP as it will track objects like an EQ rather than an AZ mount, i.e. no field rotation.

This is driving me crazy looking at just these 3 (without even considering the dobs!!!) I appreciate every bit of input as I would like the telescope to last me a while (if only to keep the mrs sweet).

If you already have the 130 reflector I wouldnt waste my time on a 127...Save your cash and just buy a goto system or mount with goto as that is your obvious area of interest. Stay clear of the mounts that come with the 127's as they are nowhere near good enough for astrophotography, Ive fallen for that myself!!!

Regards,

Chris:icon_salut:

You don't need a wedge for webcamming or goto or tracking. yes tracking makes it easier but like many things in astronomy apparture rules. I have a nexstar 5 and I regularly see images on here taken with a 200p dob that are much better than my 5 can manage I used to think I was doing something wrong but I have seen other 127mm users and they get similar images. I have since found out that it is a function of apparture and the increased resolution that apparture brings. a webcam taken by a skillful 200p dob user beats my nexstar5 every time. Yes it will be more difficult with a dob But I promise you a webcam on an 8" scope gives a lot better image than a webcam on a 5" scope.

Archived