NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Which scope?

I am looking for a telescope that combines good views with imaging capabilities.

I want to see surface markings on jupiter, not massive but as long as they're noticeable, with 4 moons.

Saturn and it's rings.

Mars and the surface markings.

And DSO's.

However, I also what to image them.

Thanks,

Andrew Steele. This is probably my 5th thread in the past month but I need to know scope I'm looking for! I was going to go for the Celestron 6SE but it's too dear so what's the 5SE like? Thanks.

What do you intend to 'image' with ?? a webcam ? a DSLR ?

If it's DSLR... you need to start with the choice of mount not 'scope.

For seeing with your own eyes + imaging with a DSLR Camera...HEQ5Pro mount & 200newt (F5)

For webcams & the odd 'snap' ... A sturdy mount + newt..or a Dob...or refractor

A DSLR. People have told me to buy either the NEQ6 or the HEQ5 mount but they're a little pricey! However, If I could get a good scope with seeing with my own eyes then I'd be willing to pay £1,200

DSLR isn't really suitable for imaging planets, so if you want to image planet, SCT with webcam is the way to go. Mount is not as important as DSO imaging, and SE is fine.

DSO imaging requires very accurate tracking and long exposure. DSLR is good at this. You need a good mount like the HEQ5/EQ6 and a fast and lightweight scope like a ED80. The smaller aperture will make them less suitable for visual

Would this be the best choice for what I want to achieve?

The 200p was my original choice but I wasn't 100% certain!

If it gives me good views through eyes and good images through the camera, then this sounds like a 'relatively speaking' bargain!

You will get great views with a 200... the HEQ5Pro mount will carry the 200 + camera + guide 'scope if req'd... & comes with go-to + tracking + auto-guider port to link to a pc

Archived