New scope dilema!

You may have noticed my previous post on the celestron C6 OTA, im not sure if my mount is up to the job so perhaps a full package maybe on the cards?Does anyone have any experience with this scope?

First Light Optics - Celestron Nexstar 127 SLT

I currently use a 130mm reflector so I can't imagine the views are going to be any better?would this scope be a waste of money?I have been looking at the dobs (the skywatcher 200) I would like to do a bit of webcam imaging which I believe is possible with dobs?

I am very open to all types, it would be nice for it to be portable but I will mainly be visual. I lik the idea of the 'Maintenance free' SGT's.

A mak will arguably be a better planetary scope offering good high magnification views, but will not offer as wide FOV as your current scope.

I use a skywatcher 127 Mak which is an identical OTA to the Nexstar. It's a fantastic scope with very good sharp optics in a small, portable package.

If you want to be portable with your scope then this will be an improvement over your reflector. You will also be able to do webcam imaging with this scope.

However, if visual is your main focus then aperture is king, and a dob is the best "/£ scope you will get.

Apature v portability is a fine balancing act to get right!

I own the 127 SLT and have done for exactly a year now. I do find it a great little scope and one of the selling points for me was that it is pretty much maintenance free "with careful handling". compact, easy to set-up, easy to transport etc. Yeah a large dob will give you better lightgrasp, but they are more difficult to handle/transport. also from what I read on SGL, they do need collimating pretty regularly. If you did go for the 127 SLT then an absolute must would be a powertank to drive it. The Maplin 3 in 1 is the one that everyone on SGL uses. (usually).....

This is a relly hard choice, part of me wants to go ahead with the celestron C6 SGT try it on my mount untill I can afford an upgrade, another part of me wants the 127 as its a full package ready to go but im unsure if it will be an improvement over my current scope and then part of me thinks what the hell I should go or the biggest I can get 200 or 250 DOB. I have even been looking at the flex tubes and even the smaller meade light bridge DOB's.

I own the 127 SLT and have done for exactly a year now. I do find it a great little scope and one of the selling points for me was that it is pretty much maintenance free "with careful handling". compact, easy to set-up, easy to transport etc. Yeah a large dob will give you better lightgrasp, but they are more difficult to handle/transport. also from what I read on SGL, they do need collimating pretty regularly. If you did go for the 127 SLT then an absolute must would be a powertank to drive it. The Maplin 3 in 1 is the one that everyone on SGL uses. (usually).....

Just out of intrest how is it for DSO's?If im honest I have never looked at any yet but as I understand planetary observation is not at it's best at the moment. Are you pleased with the views through it?

What are you looking to get from your scope? Each type of scope has it's part to play and no one scope will really do it all unless you get into 1000's. I 130 reflector should be slightly better than the 127 Mak on DSOs but I 150 reflector will be better again. You can go on and on forever but eventually you will need to either choose one scope or buy several but if you get into this seriously you will need deep pockets.

Archived