1.25" / 2" EP Question

So I've just ordered my first scope! :(

A Skywatcher 200P DS EQ5....looking forward to it arriving.

But I suddenly have EP questions....

1) The 200P DS has a 2" focuser - does this mean I'm restricted to 2" EPs, or will it accept 1.25" EPs too?

2) Is there a benefit to sticking with 2" EPs and barlows if the focuser will accept both sizes?

3) The supplied EP is a 28mm, which will give 36X magnification if I'm correct.....I'd like to add a barlow, but what can i expect from the 28mm, and what other EPs would you recommend?

4) Do I need the 2" barlow, or can I use the cheaper 1.25" SW barlow, which seems to have good reviews?

thank you!!!

Rob

Hi Robster, welcome to SGL. You will need a 2" Barlow to work with the supplied 28mm LET eyepiece, I have this one and can thoroughly recommend it: First Light Optics - Skywatcher ED Deluxe 2x two-inch Barlow Lens. However, in my view it would be better to get some other ep's in shorter focal lengths once you have had some experience with the 28mm, which all said and done is quite good for a supplied ep. I would recommend looking at 1.25" ep's, especially for Moon and planetary work, the BST Explorers/StarGuiders are superb in my opinion, pehaps a range of 8mm, 12mm and 18mm or something similar.

1) The 200P DS has a 2" focuser - does this mean I'm restricted to 2" EPs, or will it accept 1.25" EPs too?

No, the scope should come with a 1.25" adapter (a holder that fits into the top end of the focuser).

2) Is there a benefit to sticking with 2" EPs and barlows if the focuser will accept both sizes?

Benefit of 2" is that you can potentially get a wider field of view. Downside is that EPs are more expensive. And there are some 1.25" eyepieces that would give a wider field of view than some 2" EPs of the same magnification.

4) Do I need the 2" barlow, or can I use the cheaper 1.25" SW barlow, which seems to have good reviews?

You're fine with 1.25" EPs and Barlows, just as long as you have a 2" to 1.25" adapter.

Clear skies and good luck with your scope.

Archived