Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Setting up a scope????

How do you set up a telescope so you can use the co ordinates given in magazines etc. i have a skywather 130 with manual mount (they may all come with manual mounts) it was second hand from ebay, and then how to "move around the sky" with the different knobs. then how to use the eye pieces properly. I am really keen to get out there and learn about the sky and where everything is.

I can create a new thread but i also want to know how to align the mirrors in the scope. i have seen information on a culmination tool but am unsure if this is all i need and how to do it.

Thank you in advance for any and all reply's

mr numpty

:(

With regards to collimation, you might want to read through Astro Baby's guide which is here. To help you understand the sky and where objects are located you need first to have a decent map. One of most popular free planetarium software programs out there is 'Stellarium' which you can view here. Its easy to use with lots of helpful features that will help you both locate and identify what you are looking at. There is a useful advance date/time feature which will tell you when objects will be available too. With regards to setting up the scope correctly for observing, you might want to refer to

video which actually uses a Skywatcher 130 in the set up and this will certainly get your equipment up and running. The above should help you make a good start but if there are any problems, please come back and ask.

Clear skies

James

Archived