NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher Explorer 130 or 130P?

Hi all

I was planning on waiting a few months to get my new scope (only have Celestron 15x70 bins right now, but I simply can't wait, I want, I NEED to get onto the planets and into the stars! LOL

So I'm looking at the Skywatcher Explorer 130 or 130P. I know parabolic mirror is better but is it REALLY better at my newbie level? Do you think it's worth getting the 130, using that until around November so the clear clear skies are here and Orion etc and then maybe upgrading to a 200mm for the winter.

Is the 130P really worth the extra money?

Hope someone can put me out of my misery? LOL

Huge thanks for reading and helping

Daz

I don't know how much better the 130p will be over the 130, which got a good review anyway. Personally on a budget, I would go for bigger aperture on a dobs mount over an EQ mount. The dobs will be quicker to set up, although if polar aligned, the EQ will allow easier tracking (in RA). I think buying small now then upgrading in the winter might cost more as you might not get much back for your small scope second hand. Could be wrong as the s/h price on ebay is quite high at the moment. I would go for a 150p dob minimum, pref a 200p dob. Grab one second hand even cheaper.

Archived