Spinal binos...

I'm just about to go out and try a pair of binoculars. Two Celestron C11s. There's a catch; their creators only have an equatorial for the prototype so some curvatue of the neck will be called for... I was offered a go half an hour ago but the EPs were vertical with respect to each other and I have cervical arthritis already. Well, here goes!

To be continued.

Olly

I forgot to get any photos but I'll get some next time the guys assemble the beasts.

They have two extended home made star diagonals, in essence, to get the EPs adjacent to each other. I'm writing after a second session in cloud but at a comfortable orientation. M13 was spectacular.

The scopes were bought damaged so have owner-made secondaries and corrector plates (the owner being an optical engineer). There is no concern over the quality, which probably beats Celelstron, but they have not had their coatings applied yet so are losing about 6% to reflection.

What is clear is that the idea works.

They are working on a decent sized pair of binoculars, though. This little minnow is just a proof of concept. The optical parts for the 'Binosaur' are already made. A pair of 40cm Schmidt Cassegrains. Leather strap round yer neck and off you go, into the woods for a bit of birdwatching...

Olly

Archived