Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First try at the Iris Nebula

Quatermass

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would suggest you try Pixinsight. Even from my very dark site I find the colour calibration and gradient removal tools very useful. I would be very surprized if running your Iris through Dynamic Background Extraction, Colour Calibration and SCNR (green) didn't sort out your Iris nicely.

STF is not something I would use for stretching the image 'for real.' It is intended just to give you a screen visualization of what the still-linear image will look like once stretched. I still prefer to stretch in Ps, in fact, once the linear image has been colour balanced and gradient-removed in PI. (One of the key features of PI is that it performs many tasks at the linear stage while the STF function shows you what is going on.)

PI is a a cussed thing to understand but Harry Page has translated it into something most of us can manipulate via his excellent tutorials. I flit between PI and Ps and refuse to be drawn into ideological battles between the two!

Olly

I will give it a try sometime Olly but I am terrible with blues and greens. My missus sat with me yesterday telliing me what areas were green and what was blue in the image I just couldnt see it. So apart from moving over to an ha filter and trying to get the colours as near as I can not much else I can do. Im not that fussed so long as Im happy with what am doing thats the main thing the way I see colour is how its allways been for my eyes. :)

Sent from my GT-S5670 using Tapatalk 2

One way to kill greens without PI is to download Hasta La Vista green from the Deep Sky Colors website. It works like PI on colour noise removal. Greens bug everybody, not just just you! Just don't apply it to Thor's Helmet or it will disappear...

Olly

Archived