up grade to a full goto system

Hi again I have the Sky Watcher 130p I have the small controller that came with it would it be worth getting a az synscan goto system (would it work with my scope and does anyone no the cost.

Geoff:icon_scratch:

I can's see any details in your signature relating to which mount your scope currently sits on. If it is the same mount that came with the scope which included the option of having a motor attached (130M) I can find any means by which you can update it to have Goto and therefore you are going to need to purchase a new mount for this facility. There are several to choose from but the cheapest is this which is the AZ Goto mount (£195) which is the one I believe you are thinking about. It will accept a 5" scope if already fitted with the Vixen dovetail bar (which yours is).

Is it worth it? Well that's a tricky question and very much depends on your own expectations of what you want to look at. The aperture you have will show many objects, but it is not going to help you resolve many of the potential 15,000 objects that are listed on the Synscan menu. As a mount, I have read that it is a good performer though I have also read that this tripod is not the most stable out there. I don't have experience of using this mount, but my only possible concern looking at the length of your scope, will be the potential for the end the bottom of it actually making contact with the mount/tripod itself as the it is points to a position high in the sky. Maybe someone who has this exact setup can comment further. Hope that helps.

James

If you get the synscan AZ goto controller it will upgrade your mount to full goto. I did it with my dob, I bought a cheap 1145P goto scope from ebay then switched the controllers and sold the scope on as an auto-tracking scope. In the end my outlay for the upgrade was £10.65, a bargain by anyone's standards that I'd say. It needs to be the AZ and not the EQ controller though, a new one is £149 + a cable which is about £15.

Archived