NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Making sense of EQ mount designations

Hi,

WRT to Equatorial mounts what is the difference between the different grades?

Is it just that the higher numbers are more sturdy and rated for bigger/heavier telescopes?

Also I noticed that some have a designation like "3-2" Does this mean EQ3 mount with two counterweights?

Thanks,

James

Yes. The bigger the number, the bigger weight they carry.

But different manufacturers ideas on max weights are sometimes different and difficult to find.

But the mounts don't suddenly break or fall over at a certain weight. It is just that they flex and precision is lost. For example the general consensus is that an EQ5 with an 8" newt on top is OK visually, but not stable enough for photo. Assuming the newt with bits on weighs in at say 10Kg. Is an EQ5 a 10Kg mount?

I have a mount described as a CG4. Looks to me more like an EQ3. Certainly a lot smaller than the EQ5!

I believe there are also internal (bearing) differences between the EQ5 and CG5, just to add confusion.

Celestron mount numbers are different to the Skywatcher versions.

CG2 = EQ1, CG3 = EQ2, CG4 = EQ3-2.

Peter

Archived