Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Need help with filters

I got £35 credit and a bit of spare cash to spend on something to help with my astophotography, i was going to grab a filter but i dont know which if any would help me out get better shots.

Stockport Binocular & Telescope Centre. Astro Eyepiece filters.

Any of the following seem like a good idea for mostly DSO's and some planetry work ?

Filter set of 4 Popular Colours for Larger telescopes

O-III Narrowband Filters

UHC (Ultra High Contrast) Filters

Baader UHC-S Nebula Filter

Baader Fringe Killer Filter

Baader UV/IR Blocking Filter

Baader Neodymium Filter with UVblocker coating

Baader OIII Filter

Baader Contrast Booster

Numerious coloured filters

Ideas Anyone ?

The Neodymium filter will be useful in reducing orange sky glow and it's a decent general purpose LP filter. All other filters will depend on the target you choose. You won't need Fringe killer because you have a reflector, they are for achromat. If you are shooting with an un-mod DSLR you won't need UVIR cut either.

If you have got some time, you might want to read this performance test on the most common filters per target viewed. Although this article is related to Baader filters, within the descriptions for each are interesting points regarding their use which you might also find useful. Hope that helps.

James

Archived