Eq mounts and storage

Managed to get the newly aquired astromaster 130 out last night and managed some great views of Saturn. I am struggling with the equitorial mount seems I need to get used to it and set it up properly (I get too excited and run out and just point the thing at whatever im looking for!).

I was wondering as well where most people keep their telescopes?Mine currently gets locked away in the garage, I thought this would be best as it doesn't heat up and cool down quickly.

I keep my in its case behind the settee next to the bay window. It's a place that attracts lots of moisture and mold if not aired sufficiently but is the only real place for it at the moment.

I put desiccant into the case to keep it dry (in fact I put it into every container I have kit in). Being a 4 inch Refractor it doesn't take long to cool down. I make sure I put it outside well before I use it (+1hr).

Garage under a dust sheet is as good as anywhere.

If (when) you have a favourite spot in the garden, mark the tripod leg positions. That way you can run out with an assembled kit, drop it on the spots/marks and look immediately.

Isn't Saturn something to look at!

Bought one of those flight cases from Maplins (the £19 one) and the CG5-GT just squeezes into it :D. Then it stays in the conservatory, which is probably not the best place for it, but at least in the case (shiny silver) it is never too warm when I check on it.

Garage under a dust sheet is as good as anywhere.

If (when) you have a favourite spot in the garden, mark the tripod leg positions. That way you can run out with an assembled kit, drop it on the spots/marks and look immediately.

Isn't Saturn something to look at!

Saturn is amazing, im hoping to get some video of it soon and hopefully a nice image. I just wish I had bought a telescope years ago!The only problem is I keep looking at bigger and bigger ones, the wife is not happy.

Archived