How to mount two scopes.....?

I have read a couple of previous threads by people who would like to mount the smaller scope on top of the larger one.

At the moment I have them on a dual mount but it makes the whole thing look big and unwieldy and so I have been toying with the idea of putting one on top of the other to make it more compact if nothing else.

What are the advantages/disadvantages to either system, other than the fact putting one on top of the other seems plagued with problems? I really want to use the smaller top one for guiding and using the larger one with the DSLR.

Any suggestions gratefully received. :D

By the left Jim!!!!!!! :)

How did you get the smaller 80mm on top of the other though. I have tried every way I can think of but it seems that I need to use the tripod bushes on the top of the larger SW rings to attach a bar to and can only do that from the top of the bar, which then makes it damn nigh impossible to attach the guide scope (unless you have very tiny fingers!). You appear to have attached a bar to the top of the main scope and then attached another bar to the first and then attached the guide scope - is that correct? :D

Richard, I had to look at my setup again after looking at Ken's link, that was nowhere near it lol.

Ok, I purchased the Evostar and Startravel at the same time, both OTAs had rings, the Startravel having the extra block on the bottom to use between the two. Now connecting them, the bolts out of the Evostar are same thread for cameras to tripods. The ony way to connect both OTAs was to get a bar from B&Q and cut it to size, drill holes for the Evostar and once they were okay then drill holes for the Startravel and bring them both together, the bar was strong enough that when the mount moved there was no sign of movement in any direction of the top OTA all solid.

As said, remember that the bolts are the same thread as for a camera to tripod and have flat heads, I got these off eBay. I hope that this goes in some way to showing you how I done it, the whole assembly is permantly attached to the mount in the obsy and is steady and works well.

Jim

Sorry, just realised something, the rings on the top scope I changed and I now have rings which I can adjust so as to bring the guide scope inline with the main scope, so still the same method mentioned above except for the top OTA rings. :D

Richard, I had to look at my setup again after looking at Ken's link, that was nowhere near it lol.

Ok, I purchased the Evostar and Startravel at the same time, both OTAs had rings, the Startravel having the extra block on the bottom to use between the two. Now connecting them, the bolts out of the Evostar are same thread for cameras to tripods. The ony way to connect both OTAs was to get a bar from B&Q and cut it to size, drill holes for the Evostar and once they were okay then drill holes for the Startravel and bring them both together, the bar was strong enough that when the mount moved there was no sign of movement in any direction of the top OTA all solid.

As said, remember that the bolts are the same thread as for a camera to tripod and have flat heads, I got these off eBay. I hope that this goes in some way to showing you how I done it, the whole assembly is permantly attached to the mount in the obsy and is steady and works well.

Jim

Sorry, just realised something, the rings on the top scope I changed and I now have rings which I can adjust so as to bring the guide scope inline with the main scope, so still the same method mentioned above except for the top OTA rings. :)

Thanks Jim, will try to follow what you say Having seen my rig (above), do you think the small scope is too big to piggy back or will they be OK?:D

I did a similar thing for my finder(sticky pads dont last long), used a flat ally bar - ebay - drilled out for the camera mount screws between the rings, then it would be a case of drilling out for the top scope rings..

P4200262.jpg

Personally I can't see a problem Richard, as long as you balance it okay. Once you get all okay the mount should take it without fuss, I have used the same setup on the CG-5GT :D.

Jim

I have to say Jim that balancing is one of the reasons I wish to do it as dual mounting on a bar has so many variables, balancing each scope, balancing the bar crossways etc.

Thanks for the encouragement will certainly give it go. Have looked on EBay for tripod screws but cannot find one that looks suitable, so have put an ad on Astro Buy and sell and see what happens.

Will let you know how I get on.

I did a similar thing for my finder(sticky pads dont last long), used a flat ally bar - ebay - drilled out for the camera mount screws between the rings, then it would be a case of drilling out for the top scope rings..

P4200262.jpg

Thanks Martin will give it a go - see answer to Jim (The Sailor)

Yes thank you for that, but I already have a two scope mount as per that

[ATTACH]85667[/ATTACH]

I have tired that system and the Vixen Synta rail is insufficiently resistant to twisting. It will work with a Losmandy which is much wider.

A nice way to piggyback is to use a Baader Vixen Synta sadle plate and a Vixen rail.

Olly

Thanks Jim, have been playing around this evening and finally figured how to do it with the bits and bobs that I already had, though it means the the scope rings on the bigger scope are closer together than I would have wished, but it is a fairly simple set up with an ADM saddle attached directly to the top of the rings, so the large scope can be used on its own, or the smaller guide scope can be easily slotted in and tightened up in a few seconds.

Many thanks for all you assistance, I really appreciate it.:)

I used to mount side by side, but found I had clash with my top pier plate, and sometimes with the tripod (if at a star party) with the wide spread of the side by side set up. Therefore I can get higher without danger of clashing with a piggy back set up.

Disadvantage to piggy back I find is as I have more than one imaging scope, it's more of a fag to swap the set ups than the side by side arrangement.

Carole

Archived