Looping prominence 21st April

Stu

In between the clouds this morning, I've been watching two lovely prominences evolving on the upper left side of the sun. They have now pretty much joined into a complete loop, quite amazing to watch.

Using my 11mm TV plossl which is giving just about the right mag for the conditions, seeing is ok but not brilliant. Tried the BGO 9 mm which should be very good with better seeing. Also tried my new HRZ 7.2 - 21.5mm planetary zoom. It's very effective, gives nice sharp wider views and it's great to be able to optimise mag to the conditions, today though, the TV is just right.

There seems to be loads going on, plenty of sunspots, including a lovely group centre stage currently. They are tiny, but look fabulous with the etalon tuned to only show the spots ie removing all the granulation by turning the ring to the right.

Any one else watching or imaging now?

Stu

The sun looks amazing again today. That prominence is still there, now back to two distinct elements but with loads of detail visible. There is another lovely pair developing down to the bottom left which look like they will connect at some point.

Sunspot groups also looking great :D

The seeing is better today and I've been using both 11mm Plossl and the 9mm BGO. The eye relief on the BGO is a little easier than the Plossl and the seeing is coping with the magnification so it's giving me fabulous views today :)

Stu

Archived