Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

celestron edge hd 800

good evening all, I am thinking of getting the above and was wandering if anyone has one or could give me any information about how they work both visually and for AP and would it be okay on a HEQ5 pro. I would be using it with an ST80 and a DSLR any help would be greatly appreciated.

Visually lovely, for imaging, they have a very flat field but at F10 they're really slow and there's no celestron focal reducer available for the 8 inch or 9.25 inch versions yet. The reducer is available for the 11 and 14 models, but is around £750 :)

An HEQ5 will carry the load easily enough, but at 2000mm focal length, you will be really pushing the tracking ability of the mount very hard, and to have any chance of getting the long exposures you'll need to image DSO's with an F10 scope, you will also need an Off Axis Guider.

In a nutshell, not an ideal imaging scope.

Rob

Archived