Solar filters for 120 skywatcher refractor.

As the sun seems to shine down here in Cornwall more than we have clear nights, my thoughts have turned to solar photography. Ready built filters seem to be quite expensive (anything up £100+) but the Baader solar film itself is quite cheap for an A4 sized sheet.

Has anyway any experience of using the sheet solar film and if so what is the best way to affix it over the object lens? Clearly it would be a disaster if it was not fixed properly :D

Also is there any danger to a DSLR attached to a scope with a solar filter fitted?

Thanks in advance

You can make your own easily enough - look on the Baader website for a simple to make cardboard holder or you can go "posh" like I did and make one like this: Astronomy Shed UK Astronomy Forum • Login

I have since modified my "ventilator" filter holder as the foam strips i used were not man enough. I now have a full circle of thin foam inside the filter holder that seems to work very well.

Mine fits both my 120 Evostar and 120 ED APO. The Baader film is quite safe to use with your camera and is safe to use visually BUT I have a personal rule NEVER to look at the Sun through a scope of any sort - It just ain't worth the risk. Don't forget to cover or remove your finder scope if you have one!!!!

You can make your own easily enough - look on the Baader website for a simple to make cardboard holder or you can go "posh" like I did and make one like this: Astronomy Shed UK Astronomy Forum • Login

I have since modified my "ventilator" filter holder as the foam strips i used were not man enough. I now have a full circle of thin foam inside the filter holder that seems to work very well.

Mine fits both my 120 Evostar and 120 ED APO. The Baader film is quite safe to use with your camera and is safe to use visually BUT I have a personal rule NEVER to look at the Sun through a scope of any sort - It just ain't worth the risk. Don't forget to cover or remove your finder scope if you have one!!!!

Thanks Bizibilder, I will have a look at the link. I quite agree - looking through the scope seems foolhardy even with the filter in place.

Or get an Astrozap solar filter from FLO ~£35. Very happy with mine.

Thanks Freddie, I have seen these but they do not seem to do a 120 version, they do a 105, 125 and a 130 size but am not sure any of them will fit the 120, being either too small or large.

http://stargazerslounge.com/sponsor-announcements-offers/50885-astrozap-baader-solar-filters.html

Measure the OD of your tube and then use the above link to find the one that fits. There is a good 15-20mm adjustment on each. e.g. the ETX90 (90-100mm) fits my ST80.

Excellent, that is the sort of information I was after. I wondered if they were bigger than the actual mentioned size but didn't want to shell out 30 quid and then find it strill didn't fit. Thanks

Archived