Filter replacement or removal?

Hi guys n' gals

I have been reading the Astronomiser web site and see that he seems to recommend just the second filter removal for the Canon 50D and not filter replacement. I understand the reasons he puts forward for this but was just wondering what the difference is in practice?

As this is my 'best' camera it is important that I can use it after the modding for every day use, so in view of that fact, which would be best, removal or replacement?

I also have a Canon 30D which could be modded, and isn't so important to me but because that only has the Digic II processor it is more difficult to use with APT and Back Yard EOS (more cabling - more expense).

So the 50D mod seem the best solution but I do not wish to choose the wrong option taking into account what I have already said.

Anybody out there got the same camera and faced the same dilemma, is so would be pleased to hear from you?

If you need absolute precise focus using standard lenses, then the colour balance filter should be replaced with a clear version.

(The movement in the focus point is only 0.3mm and not normally an issue with general "family" shots)

You'll also need to come to terms with CWB (or a compensating filter) to re-correct the balance for "normal" photography.

Yes, basically a "white balance" doesn't exist in astro work. The nearest equivalent is when you use a G2V reference star to adjust the RBG channels.

The object of the mod is to get maximum red response....

I have a 40D and went for replacement. With custom white balance it is fine for normal photography.

There may be an odd occasion when some extra correction is needed. I took a photo of black clothing placed on a hot radiator which did come out slightly purple but was soon fixed in photoshop. I haven't yet had to resort to actually doing this with a real photo.

Dave

Archived