NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Filters and Barlows...

SwampStar

Good afternoon...I'd just like to trouble you with a couple of very quick questions.

Filters:

A kind member on another thread has suggested a Light Pollution filter. I've had a look and found a couple. There's also a set of filters available and, as usually happens, the set is more cost effective than the single filter (for the same make etc). But is it worth getting the set? will I ever use them? I can see the moon filter would come in handy but what about all the different coloured ones i.e. Yellow, Orange, Red, Green and Blue? What are they all for?

Barlow:

After reading through other threads, the common consensus is that the EPs supplied as standard with most scopes aren't that good. I was out looking at Saturn last night and started with my 25mm...pretty good. Then went to the 10mm and it was amazing. Pin sharp and clear Cassinis. Couldn't stop looking! Then I got greedy and chucked a 2x Barlow in. Saturn was only slightly bigger but the quality was extremely poor. Is is possible that my 10mm is OK really, but my Barlow is poor? Is there as much difference in the quality of Barlows as there seems to be in EPs?

Sorry...I said they were quick questions, didn't I?

Personally, I don't like using coloured filters, to me they do not enhance any object, they only make it a different colour, which I don't like. On the light pollution filter, I would go for the Baader Neodynium filter, this will act as a moon filter and help enhance detail, along with bright planets, a good all-rounder.

Archived