Orion or Zhumell?

Ive been an astronomy lover since i was a kid and I've used a few scopes but never had mine own. After looking for the last few months I've narrowed it down to i know i want to get a dob. I just don't know if i should get the Orion xt10 classic or spend just alittle more and get the Zhumell z12. Weight is no problem I'm a big guy and can lift either with no problems.

Which would be the better scope for both planets and DSO's? Which is better made?

I'm also planning on getting 2-3 ep's and a barlow.

For the barlow i was thinking about a Celestron X-cel LX 2x 3-element is it any good? I've read good things.

For the ep's i was thinking either the Sterling series or TMB planetary 2 series, I've read good things about both. I don't really care about which ep's i use as long as there pretty decent and not over $100 each.

Thanks for any help from a new member to Skygazers Lounge. First thread.

Hi Orlando

Welcome to the forum.

On this sort of size Dobs I always advise this:

If it is going to be your last word in big scopes, go for the 12" it will just edge the 10" on the fuzzies and globs will be a bit better resolved. Planets will be similar in either. A 12" is a pretty big lump to haul out everytime you observe though so its good to have a second smaller scope.

On the other hand if you can see yourself going for a really big scope in a few years, go for the 10" as they're small enough to act as a grab n go for times when hauling the big scope out isnt an option (around full moon, short sessions to grab a quick look etc).

Regards Steve

Welcome to the forum Orlando:icon_salut:

I will cast a vote for the 12".

There is quite a difference in size from the 10" to the 12" though so it might be a good idea to view them before deciding. I for one completely underestimated the size of the 12"!, still glad I went for it though :D

Archived