Kit & Viewing list

Hi all,

I have my scope & mount setup ready for a clear night (soon i hope).

My Kit:

Skymax 127 Mak

Eq5 mount/tripod

Vixen npl 30mm

Vixen npl 15mm

SW super 25mm (supplied)

SW 10mm (supplied) - Junk i think.

Need to get:

8-9mm eyepiece - any recommendations ?

Moon filter

red torch

spirit level

Barlow maybe for dslr snaps of moon.

plus anything else you think i may need !!!

I want to create a list of things viewable in the sky by my mak.

1. Moon

2. Saturn

3. please add what you have seen with the mak 127 so i can plan my clear nights please.

Thanks

Paul

Does the EQ5 mount not have a built in level bubble?

Red torch is easy enough, Skywatcher do a cheap variable setting red LED torch that can be used as a white light torch as well. The reason it's good is because you can set the red really dim.

BST explorers/starguiders are good eyepieces. There is an 8mm and a 5mm. Both would be good for planets.

A solar filter would allow you to see the sun as well.

BST explorer eyepieces are supposed to be good optically and good value for money.

Try the galaxies M81 & M82 in Ursa Major, they are amongst the brightest galaxies that can be viewed at this time of year.

M57 the ring nebula is visible but fairly low in the East.

Algieba (Gamma Leonis) is nice double star in Leo

Polaris (Alpha Ursa Minoris) is a double

M3 (in Coma Berenices) is one of the brightest Globular clusters

M13 the brightest globular in UK skies, in Hercules, you migh get hints of individual stars in it

On imaging the moon, you would do better to use a webcam. With a DSLR camera, you will be attempting to take one precise exposure of the moon whilst looking through an atmosphere that is constantly moving around all over the place. With a webcam, you can take a large number of 'frames' very quickly from which you subtract the poor ones (out of focus/blurred as described above) and the good ones can then be stacked on top of each other using Registax (which is free) to create a good composite image with plenty of detail. The webcam is also a lot lighter minising any balancing issues for your scope. Hope that helps.

James

Archived