Planning a Session

Hi team!

I'm just back inside after 3 hours of holding my head skywards. Having spent months struggling to find anything other than planets and the moon with my old Tasco, I was pretty much overwhelmed by what I could find in my new 10x50 binos. So overwhelmed in fact that I've finished for the night. I feel guilty for not making the most of the clear skies, but I'm beginning to feel that I don't know HOW to make the most of them!

Before my session, armed with a bino viewing guide and TL@O, I worked out a list of ten things I wanted to find. However I soon knocked them off, wrote down some notes, scribbled sketches when appropriate, and was left without goals for the night. Whilst I thoroughly enjoyed surveying the heavens for the last half hour of my session, I was left wondering, how do I make the most of a session?

So, this is my question to you, and it is one which I think most beginners could profit from - How do you plan your viewing sessions? How do you decide what you'll focus on for that night? What tips do you have for beginners who still have pretty much everything to see?

Clear Skies (For once there are!)

Neill

Turn Left at Orion is a great starter book but is rather aimed at 4 inch frac or larger reflector users. It does also cover a number of good Bino targets and rates all objects for Bins as well (most dont show much).

There are a couple of good looking Astro-Bino books on Amazon, but I haven't purchased any of them to comment further. Having just aquired a pair of Bins myself I will probably buy a book which points out specifically good targets for the bins.

Stellarium is good but unless you know what is where its no better than just looking up at the sky. You need to have some idea of what is up there and a good book or the internet is best for that.

Would be great if someone could write an app or something for Stellarium to point out good starter targets in a pre planned route for you to give you some idea of how to plan out your route. I know for some its common sense but its not for all. I usually plan west to east depending on seeing but am almost compeltely reliant on Turn Left to know where anything is.

Archived