Any ideas on cameras?

I'm looking to delve into the world of astrophotography and was wondering if anybody had any ideas about what dslr to get. I'm looking in the sub £200 range and in the dso spectrum. Thanks in advance :)

Canons are very good cameras for astro work as so many programs and bits of software are aimed at their use. Depends if you want to use it for everyday works as well but if just for astro then buy a body only option which will save a few pennies. A great amount of people at SGL seem to go for the Canon 1000D and the follow up model the 1100D, probably a bit above your budget brand new, but a good secondhand one will do the job.

Virtually any secondhand Canon EOS DSLR would do to get you going, but you will most likely have trouble getting it focussed on your 130. Probably better to start imaging with a camera lens and the camera piggybacked on the scope or even on the mount instead of the scope. Otherwise you could look at getting a webcam and a barlow and take a stab at lunar / planetary imaging.

Hi Bryan - when you attach a dslr to a newtonian focuser tube you don't use the camera lens - the telescope effectively replaces that. But the focuser tube on your scope doesn't have enough inward travel to bring the image to focus correctly on the camera chip.

Some folks fit a low profile focuser to their scope to allow a little more inward travel to make focus possible - however this can cost as much as the entire scope so not usually worth the upgrade.

It's a common problem with newtonians whereas Sct's/Maks have a lot more movement both ways cos the mirror is pushed up/down the tube to focus. Refractors usually have a longer focus tube too.

Your best bet (imho) is to get a webcam and try imaging planets to begin with - dslr imaging is quite an involved process with a steep learning curve. Get the book "Making Every Photon Count" by Steve Richards for a really good introduction to the technique.

For circa your stated budget, you can get a good second hand 1000D (body only) from this site (I got one myself a couple of weeks back):

MPB Photographic - Buy Used Canon & Used Nikon Digital SLR Cameras, Lenses & More

For suitable webcams an SPC880 (flashed up to SPC900) can be found here:

Buy Philips Pre flashed SPC880 CCD webcam bundle at Morgan Computers

For a good comparison of Canon dslrs read here: http://www.astronomiser.co.uk/helpcanon.htm

But do get the book first - it's invaluable for only twenty quid and will save you money in the long run :)

Wow, this site never stops amazing me with the amount of knowledge that you guys and gals have here. I have been looking for that back with little luck, but I'll just have to keep trying. Thanks again :)

Sorry - I'm afraid I don't know about Mac drivers. Maybe someone who's used this webcam with a Mac can help.

I suggested "pre-flashed" because you need an XP system to flash the camera firmware - and XP is fairly old now - I must be the last one left with an XP system lol. Hope a Mac expert drops by for you :)

Archived