Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New telescope need help and advice Please!

Hi everyone..

I have always been interested in astronomy.. I had a scope a few years back and have just taken delivery of a new Sky-watcher reflecting telescope an SK 1309eq2.

It came with a x2 barlow lens, a super 25 wide angle long eye relief lens and a super 10mm.. (any ideas please as to what I use to see what) I would like to see some Galaxies if possible with this scope. Anyone else got one of these scopes and what will I be able to see... not deep space? will I need some bigger lens or something? any help would be appreciated.

Anyway I live in Hull, England.

Thanks..

Hi philby,

You have chosen a very capable small scope that will let you view a variety of objects.

At the moment with the moon washing out the sky you will be limited to solar system and double star viewing.

As Saturn is now viewable at a sensible time that would make a great object for your first light. To view start with the 25mm eyepiece and then go to 10mm then put the Barlow and use this with the 10mm.

BTW when you come to focus your eyepiece you need to move the focus very slowly.

You seem a bit confused as everything outside the solar system is considered deep space, so galaxies will be included in this.

In general you need to use your high power eyepieces (smallest focal length) for double stars, planetary and lunar viewing and your lower power (highest focal length) for the faint but larger objects in deep space.

FYI the magnification you will obtain with an eyepieic is the focal length of your scope divided by the focal length of the eyepiece.

If you haven't already I would suggest you download Stellarium a free planatarium program that will help you find your way around.

HTH and good luck

Just remember that with eyepieces the greater the number the wider the field and the smaller the number the more magnification you get - the barlow double the magnification of whatever lens you are using). Take it out and get to know and what it can do - don't wait for a clear night, take it out during the day, the best experience you can get is through personal experience.

Hello Alan'

thanks for the reply.. will take note of the info and give it a try.

I really want to start observing Galaxies/Nebula and I hope I can do it with this scope..

anyway at the present time the sky looks nice and clear for tonight

lets hope it stays that way.

Thanks again

Phil.

Thanks Richard.. strange you saying try it during the daytime..

I did this morning.. not used to everything been upside down though.. Ill get used to it.

Thanks again

Phil

Archived